Thursday 25 January 2018

Welcome to The Frosty Green Thumb!

Hi there! Welcome to my newest project, a blog about Gardening in a zone 3 climate! My name is Krysta Harder and I am a stay-at-home-mom of two toddler boys. We recently moved outside of the big city here in Manitoba, and we are setting ourselves up nicely on a 5 acre yard.

As we are growing and settling, I have been realizing more and more, just how GREEN my thumbs really are! Consistently by about the second day in January... i'm fighting the urge to start seedlings! But you see, (And this is the tough part about zone 3) well... its cold 3/4 of the year... :( so Just WHAT do we do with green thumbs all winter!? Do we let them go dormant like our spring tulip bulbs? The urge doesn't just simply rest all winter. It's still there!  So is there ANY WAY to appease the green thumbs in our midst, despite five thousand feet of snow in a frozen wasteland?
Oh look! A Deer!

YES! YES THERE IS! and this is the place to get those ideas! Please stay tuned here for plenty of fun grow-ey ideas to keep your creative plant-loving thumbs happy until planting season. And over the spring, summer,fall growing months, stay tuned for lots of tips and tricks and just to watch all my silly garden happenings and experimentation! Maybe you can watch me try something and succeed, or perhaps (if you've been at this longer than I have) you'll watch, waiting to see an experiment go horribly wrong (and then laugh a little lol).
Pumpkin vases: one idea that may pop up again in fall!
 I dont claim to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I've done several years of square-foot-gardening, and one summer of in-ground gardening. But the enthusiasm and natural knack for gardening is there, and the creativity to make it all pretty interesting! So stay tuned in for tips and tricks, ideas, experiments, and general time-saving and time-wasting ideas! :)

Digging a trench to plum a tap to the back-half of our yard.

Please enjoy my sporadic mind, weird humor, and ADHD brain's trial-and-error gardening methods!

Welcome to the FROSTY GREEN THUMB!

2 comments:

  1. love the house😉💜

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup you come by it honestly. I have wanted to start my tomatoes a few weeks ago. Sooooon. As you know I enjoy growing plants but I think the strong green thumb you get from your grandma D. She had a huge garden when I was growing up. A house full of plants and loved taking care of the gardens at the place where she retired. You are a tribute to your Grandma. Embrace it a grow with it. Love your blog. Mom

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting! :)